General Practioner Posts (at salary scale 6) - call for applications
Link to call for application
Link to application form
PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
Posts of General Practitioner in the Health Division
The Public Service Commission invites applications from qualified medical practitioners for the posts of General Practitioner in the Health Division.
2.1. The post of General Practitioner carries a salary of Lm6,688 per annum rising by annual increments of Lm256 up to a maximum of Lm8,224.
3.1. The appointment, which is subject to a probationary period of one year is on a full time basis and is subject to the rules governing from time to time the Malta Public Service and the Health Division. It involves liability to transfer according to the exigencies of the Public Service.
3.2. The appointee will be required to work in accordance with an established roster which may include night duty. This roster will take into consideration training requirements as may be applicable from time to time as well as the exigencies of the service. Additional remuneration will be paid at the approved rates for hours worked in excess of forty (40) per week and for work performed on Sundays and Public Holidays.
3.3. The appointee will be entitled to such other benefits and subject to such other conditions and obligations as may be stipulated in any pertinent agreement between the Government and the competent Union .
4. The appointee will be allowed to undertake private practice of his/her profession provided that:-
a) it is carried out strictly outside his/her official hours of work; and
b) it does not interfere or conflict with his/her official duties or with the exigencies of the service.
5. The appointee will be directly accountable to the Senior Medical Officer or Principal Medical Officer in charge of the Health Centres and ultimately to the Director of Primary Health Care.
The duties of the appointee include:
a) seeing to the needs of patients calling at the Health Centres and Government dispensaries;
b) visiting patients in their home when a home visit is requested;
c) seeing patients in specialist clinics within the Health Centres;
d) keeping accurate clinical records on patients and recording any other information requested by the Division;
e) ensuring proper use of resources and facilities made available to him/her;
f) participating regularly in programmes of continuing professional development;
g) performing any other primary health care duties as required.
6. The appointee will be required to use his/her own transport on official business on a reimbursement basis at the approved rate whenever he/she is engaged or deployed in the General Practitioner service, unless for a good reason exempted by the Director, Primary Health Care.
7. Applicants must:
(a) be citizens of Malta ;
(b) be in possession of a Licence to practise the Medical Profession in Malta ;
(c) (i) have completed at least five years full time service or equivalent in Health Centres on the closing date for the receipt of applications; or
(ii) be in possession of the Certificate of Completion of Training in General Practice.
(d) of good moral character (applicants who are already in the Public Service must produce a Service and Leave Record Form (GP47); other applicants must produce a Police certificate of conduct issued not earlier than six (6) months from the date of this call for applications and state whether they have ever been in Government Service giving details).
7.1. Due consideration will be given to applicants who possess evidence of Continued Medical Education or Research.
8. Eligible applicants will be interviewed by a Selection Board to assess their suitability for the post.
9. Qualifications and experience claimed must be supported by certificates and/or testimonials (photocopies to be included with applications; originals to be produced for verification at the interview).
10. Applicants selected for appointment will be medically examined to ascertain that they are fit for the post.
11. Application forms may either be downloaded from the following websites:
or obtained from the Personnel Section, Health Division, 15, Triq il-Merkanti, Valletta .
12. The prescribed application forms will be received in the first instance by the Director General, Health Division, 15, Triq il-Merkanti, Valletta , by not later than noon of Friday, 23rd January, 2004 .
13. Applications received from abroad through a fax or other similar message by the closing date may be considered provided that all requisite details are given. The formal application duly signed by the applicant must reach the Division by not later than one week after the closing date together with an explanation for the delay. The fax number of the receiving Division is +356 21242884.
14. Applications delivered by hand will be acknowledged in writing by the Division and a receipt will be given in hand at the time of delivery. Applications by post should be sent by registered mail in sufficient time to ensure delivery by the above dead line. The applications will be acknowledged in writing by the Division within seven (7) days.
30th December, 2003 Govt. Gaz. No. 17525